A summer version

My husband likes creamed cauliflower, however the way his Mama made it was in the oven and it's way too hot to turn on the oven to make this side dish.  But he bought a head of cauliflower(he's the grocery shopper now) and some sour cream and brought them home hoping I'd indulge him - I like it too, but not enough to turn on the oven!

So off I go to my cookbook shelf to see if I can find a recipe for cauliflower in the microwave. Eureka!  I found one. Reading it through I realized I could assemble it just as I do for the oven but cook it in the micro for only 6 minutes and I essentially had the same dish.  And here it is:

I didn't tell him it was from the microwave.  And he liked it!  If you'd like to try it, here's the recipe:

Creamed Cauliflower
 1 head of caulflower (medium size) cut up into florets
 1 cup of sour cream ( I used Smart Balance)
 1 egg
 1 Tbs of flour
1/2 tsp salt, dash of pepper
1/2 tsp of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp of dill weed
 Bread crumbs

Grease a 9" ceramic/glass pan (something that can go in the microwave) with butter or PAM.  Set aside.

In a 4 quart pan, bring water to boil and toss in the florets, bring the water back to a boil and lower to medium heat and cook the florets for 3 minutes. They will be cooked but still a little crunchy.  Once they have cooked, drain in a colander and set aside.

While the cauliflower is cooking, mix the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth.  Add the drained cauliflower to the sauce and fold the florets into the sauce until they are well coated (this was the only change from the oven version - on that one I pour the sour cream mixture on top only).  Actually, I like this new way better.  Pour the mixture into the prepared dish.  Sprinkle some bread crumbs on the top. Set in the microwave and cook at 100% power for 6 minutes  If you don't have a micro that turns, at 3 minutes turn the pan around so it will cook evenly.

Enjoy your cool kitchen!

PS If you're making it in the oven during a cool time outside, preheat oven to 350 degrees and cook in the oven for 30 minutes or when lightly brown.

2 comments:

  1. It's cauliflower season here too, so we eat cauliflower almost every week. This time of the year "winter", we get the "hard" cauliflower, which is better than the softer one. Usually we make it with masala together with other vegetables or what we have. We don't get sour cream here, but for your recipe perhaps I can use yogurt instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 2012, but I just joined your blog,so I'm just now getting to your creamed cauliflower recipe. I make it, but differently. I cook the cauliflower in the microwave until tender. Put it in a colander to drain thoroughly. Using the microwave in a ceramic dish, I melt 3 tablespoons margarine, add 3 Tablespoon flour and stir into a roux. Add a little milk, keep stirring and heating for about 30 seconds at a time. When the sauce gets to the thickness you like, I add 3-4 slices of American cheese pulled into chunks and heat a little bit more until the cheese melts. Add salt and pepper to taste. Never thought of using the sour cream or egg.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...