Jean Fix

Not quilting, but sewing and needed.  My eight year old grandson does a number to the knees of his jeans and as Mom is very busy with baby Alan, I'm delegated to the repair sewing patrol (although she is the better seamstress).
I viewed quite a few tutorials online at Sew What's New and Sew-Much-Ado and got the courage to proceed.

I cut the legs off the worst for wear jean, used the sort-of overlock stitch on my Bernina 130 and finished the edge, then just turned them up a half inch and hemmed them.  Used my free arm for a change on these.

Then I used the legs I cut off to cut patches for the other pair, applied Heat n Bond to them and then ironed them onto the legs with the holes.  I was going to use the free arm again and realized I wouldn't be able to do the vertical part of the patch.  So turned them inside out and opened the seam that looks more like a normal seam - the one without the top stitching - 3 inches above and below where the patch ends.  Then I could zig-zag around the patch with no trouble.  I redid the seam with first a straight stitch where it was before and then overlocked the edges.  They look pretty good, if I do say so myself. Now how long they last is another story.

1 comment:

  1. I put the patches on the inside for these jeans: http://bethstherapy.blogspot.com/2011/01/patched-jeans.html

    It is so liberating to fix the old and not put them in the land fills! Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...