It has begun - WIPs Be Gone

May 27, 2015
2015 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook.
(Credit: NOAA)
NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center says the 2015 Atlantic hurricane season will likely be below-normal, but that’s no reason to believe coastal areas will have it easy.

For the hurricane season, which officially runs from June 1 - November 30, NOAA is predicting a 70 percent likelihood of 6 to 11 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 3 to 6 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including zero to 2 major hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher). While a below-normal season is likely (70 percent), there is also a 20 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 10 percent chance of an above-normal season.

“A below-normal season doesn’t mean we’re off the hook. As we’ve seen before, below-normal seasons can still produce catastrophic impacts to communities,” said NOAA Administrator Kathryn Sullivan, Ph.D., referring to the 1992 season in which only seven named storms formed, yet the first was Andrew – a Category 5 Major Hurricane that devastated South Florida.   (see more at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ )
And already there has been Tropical Storm Alice in the Atlantic and now Tropical Storm Andres in the Pacific.
I'm interested because I have a lot of family and friends in the path of Hurricanes.

In the WIPs Be Gone category, I've spent most of the week busy with Life and trying to bind the Raffle Quilt which must be done by Sunday. So working hard on that.  My two Hexie Stars are the only WIPs work I did.  I madly put together another baby quilt top. On Monday that will have to be my priority, so that I can hand it off to a tester to show for me at the June Guild meeting. I will be in San Francisco that week. Phew. Here's the top:
As usual, this preemie quilt measures 30" square. What color should I bind it with?  I'm linking to Amanda's Finish it Up Friday and Sarah's Can I get a Whoop, Whoop?

What kind of weather are you having?  Show me your WIP progress or your weather in the linky below.


9 comments:

  1. I remember the days of checking the NOAA website every morning to see what was going on in the Gulf. Hurricanes are not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only read in the news about hurricanes, but it is far away. We have a few times a year stormy weather and that is already scaring for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for a drama-free year stormwise! We don't have any family in direct line of them, but many friends. And all of our family lives in tornado zones, especially us here in Nashville. Hope all of your loved ones stay safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have more of the yellow stripey fabric? It would be cute cut on the bias for the binding. Good luck finishing up and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd bind in red!
    We have had rainy weather off and on which makes it difficult to get out in the garden on days off.
    Heading for FL for Dad's 85th b'day party next week so hope no storms while we are there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Cathy - bind in red. No hurricanes or tornadoes predicted here in Knoxville. I think our close-in mountains protect us more than Nashville. Hopefully, all your family makes it through the season without incident. My cousins on the shore in New Jersey just got their house rebuilt from Sandy, so I hope nothing hits there especially!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Name Alice in the Atlanta. I think most of Texas is feeling like Alice in Wonderland that just fell down the rabbit hole. Too much rain and well I'm sure you've heard it all on the news.

    Love your fabrics! Hope you get a little more rain at your place. We got more last night and more coming tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful block and great blog to visit!

    Have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers and crossed fingers for you and yours during upcoming hurricane season. The crib quilt is pretty...I LOVE blue and yellow together. Have a wonderful week in San Francisco!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...